Bye Bye 2019, Hello 2020 Book Challenges!
27th December 2019
I think I have a serious addiction to buying books. I have about 190 physical books on my shelves that I have not read and yet whenever I am out or a deal comes up on my phone I want to buy more!
To help try and reduce this giant back log of books I am going to take part in a couple of challenges in 2020 that some amazing bookstagrammers have come up with!
The first is @rosie_tinted_books 12 book challenge #jesandrosiesbooketlist I am super excited for this one as there are some great prompts and they are also doing a read along with the book they are reading each month.
The prompts are:
1. A book that has been on your shelf a year or longer – The Nightingale
2. A book from the year you were born (1989 for me) – Like Water for Chocolate
3. An awarding winning book – The Life of Pi
4. A back list book from an author you have read before – One True Loves (or any Taylor Jenkins Reid)
5. A book written by a WOC – A Woman is no Man
6. A newly released book – The Switch by @betholearyauthor because she is AWESOME
7. A book gifted to you by a friend or loved one –
8. A book out of your norm –
9. A book about female friendships – Expectation
10. A translated book – Most likely to be one of my tbr Fredrik Backman books
11. A book to match the season – Probably a Christmas book
12. A book you bought for the cover – The Familiars
I have left some spaces blank so as the hosts are organising a read along each month and I know i’m going to want to take part in that!!
The second is to clear my TBR and is called #TBR2020Project hosted by @mamasreadingcorner and is perfect as it can be any 20 books so I don’t even need to try and slot them into prompts. I have combined some of the books from the other challenges to complete this list as trying to do all the challenges with different books would be too much pressure and I want to enjoy taking part.
As you an probably see I have a few booker prize winners on there and that is thanks to @jaellareviews who is hosting #20bookersin2020 which I doubt I will get the full 20 but I’m going to try to read all the ones that are already on my TBR!
You can find a full list of Booker prize winners here.
It has some great prompts and is a really realistic and achievable challenge and they even said you can double up, so if your book fits two or three prompts you are on to a winner!
Here are the prompts:
1. The authors one and only published book
2. A book recommend by a celebrity – You know its going to be one from Reese Witherspoon’s book club, in fact I am reading ‘The Light We Lost’ as a buddy read in January so that is this one covered!
3. A book of a genre you don’t usually read –
4. A book written in the past decade
5. A book with a cover you like – The Familiars
6. A book that has been on your TBR for over a year – The Nightingale
7. A coming of age story –
8. A book written by an Author from your home country –
9. A book chosen for you by a friend or loved one
10. A book published in 2020 – The Switch
11. A book you got recently –
12. A book that deals with mental health –
13. A book set in country you want to travel to –
14. A beloved book from your childhood –
15. A book originally written in a foreign language – Any of my Fredrik Backman back-list
16. A book from your TBR picked blindfolded – The Blinds (this was soooooo satisfying!)
17. A book about friendship – Expectation
18. An award winning book – Life of Pi
19. A book you got because of Bookstagram –
20. A non-fiction book –
A few of these prompts are also on #jesandrosiesbooketlist so I can check of both challenges at once!
And finally I will try and I get some crossed off the #popsugarreadingchallenge as I almost completed it in 2019! I will do a seperate post for that as its a big list!
Will you be taking part in any challenges in 2020? Do you have any recomendations for the prompts n the challenges i’m taking part in? Please let me know in the comments.
Or if you want more details on any of these challenges then just leave a comment or come find me on Instagram.
Hope you have all had a wonderful holiday and wishing you all the best for 2020!